On 5/11/2011 6:51 PM, Dale wrote:

Does this look more better?

root@fireball / # locale
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF8"

LC_PAPER, is that like paper in my printer? What the heck
does it want my phone number, address and other stuff for?
Some of that I get but some is just plain nosy. O_O

These are all proposed, but ultimately rejected, POSIX extensions to hold other standard, region-specific settings. glibc grabbed onto them when the latest POSIX was still in draft status and implemented them.

LC_PAPER is one of a few places that holds the default paper sizes (I think Debian has an /etc/papersize or some such). It's kinda silly, since "en_US" isn't a paper size, but roughly speaking, en_US = "8.5x11 letter" and everything else = "A4".

The others are for tracking: proper name format (e.g. family name first or last); postal address format; telephone number format (local, international, etc); units of measurement (imperial vs. metric); and the standards that govern the rest of the formats. Support for them is pretty sketchy and you can probably safely ignore them :)

--Mike