On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 05:00:02AM +0200, Felix Miata wrote:
> On 2011/05/15 22:18 (GMT-0400) Felix Miata composed:
>
> > I have two Gentoo stanzas in my primary bootloader, one to load the kernel,
> > another to chainload Gentoo's Grub. Loading the kernel works, but chainload
> > gives error 13 invalid executable format. I named the bzImage copied to
> > /boot
> > "kernel-2.6.37-r4f", and symlinked it a vmlinuz. vmlinuz is the name I use
> > in
> > the Grub stanzas. Is Gentoo's Grub expecting the kernel to have a particular
> > name, and I picked a wrong one? Or maybe what it doesn't like is that I
> > uncommented splashimage=(hd0,6)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz in menu.lst?

I always just copy the bzImage to (for example)
/boot/vmlinux-2.6.38-gentoo-r5, but the name doesn't really matter as
long as it matches your bootloader entry.

> Why setup didn't get this right via emerge I have no idea, unless it didn't
> actually do anything toward actually setting Grub up. If so, it could be
> there was already some mismatched Grub code there already from a previous use
> of the sectors there that didn't like the file format.

The install docs are fairly clear that installing the grub pkg is only
the first step of setting up the bootloader.

It seems to me (though I could certainly be wrong) that your best bet
really is to perform a "vanilla install" first, as much as your hardware
allows. Just to get to know the system before attempting to customize it.
:)

--
caveat utilitor