Alan McKinnon wrote:
Apparently, though unproven, at 18:18 on Monday 16 May 2011, Indi did opine
thusly:

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 06:10:02PM +0200, Felix Miata wrote:
Actually after the first or 2nd or some subsequent attempt that was my
plan. After so much time passed (days, not just hours) and I had good
kernel, NFS, and MC that I didn't see much point delaying KDE. After the
errors disappeared around 10 last night and I reported same here I
started to wonder where to go next on a tired brain. I set qt3support
emerging around that time, and more than 3 hours later and time for bed
its hundred&  some packages were still emerging. I woke up hours later
to goto the bathroom and found that done, so set kdm to install. That
hundred plus set of packages is still emerging now, nearly 6 hours
later. Maybe 32 bit 1667MHz&  512M RAM is on the skimpy side for
installing Gentoo?
Not to mention there is pretty much no way you'll be using kde on that
hardware! I'd be surprised if X would be usable on that even with blackbox
wm...
This is a joke right?

I once ran Gentoo Linux with KDE3 on a 133Mhz machine with 256Mbs of ram. It wasn't fast but it did OK. A friend used it to play cards on. No internet or anything tho.

I did the compiling via chroot on my old rig which had a much faster CPU and such. I just plugged the drive into my rig and did my thing.

It may be slow but it should work.  Make sure you have some swap tho.

Dale

:-)  :-)