OK, I'll give it a try. I've not used VPNs since my abortive Windows
days so I have little trust but it would be good to learn about.

Unfortunately I changed the router to point directly at the laptop and
I still can't launch anything graphical so I'm no longer thinking that
the root cause is the ssh path but rather something having to do with
exporting the display, or something like that. Note that this
individual had the same problem and changed his script in the 2nd
post.

http://ktorrent.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3340

Unfortunately I don't know what to do to fix this problem in any global sense...

Thanks,
Mark