On Mon, 2005-08-08 at 18:30 -0700, Bob Sanders wrote:
> On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 23:40:36 +0200
> Alexander Skwar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Hello!
> >
> > What filesystem(s) do you recommend for use on a notebook?
> > I'm looking for a FS that's fairly stable even if all of a
> > sudden the power goes away (battery empty) and one, that
> > also doesn't (overly) unneccesarily spin up the hard drive.
> >

> Any journaling filesystem is going to spin up the drive or keep it spinning.
> And unless your drive is one of the 7200 rpm drives, it's still not the energy
> hog that the LCD is.

For spinning down and power savings, I recommend using laptop_mode. (You
can see the article I wrote for the MyOSS Magazine (Ed2 I think)
(http:/mag.my-opensource.org) which I wrote about some of the items
which you can use for POwer management in Linux. (also read in Ed4,
Gnome-Power-Manager written by Richard Hughes, the lead developer)

> fwiw - I use XFS on my laptop.  It survives fine with power going away.
> But, if all the data is in the buffer and the drive is spun down, having the
> power die will cause lost data regardless of filesystem.

I too use XFS for my Home Directory. I think I've suffered 1 instance of
curruption in the entire 2 years I've had this laptop. (Touch Wood)

--
Ow Mun Heng
98% Microsoft(tm) Free!!