On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 10:44 AM, James <j...@nc.rr.com> wrote:
> There doesn't seem to be anything in the VBox.log that indicates the
> system had a hard lockup. I imagine the kernel panicing resulted in
> VirtualBox being unable to write to the log.
>
> Is anyone running VB on a Linux raid partition? I've logically
> narrowed down the issue to one of the following:
>
> (a) I've read that network driver(s) have caused some hard lockups on
> the host...I'm using bridged mode
> (b) there are some strange messages that appear when the VM is started
> (regarding misaligned sectors or something like that); I can't seem to
> find the messages right now, however. I believe md was the one logging
> the errors; maybe this has something to do with the hard lockup?
> (c) SMP has probably been ruled out; I have two 4-core Intel 5570s;
> the system is under no load whatsoever. In fact, the last two kernel
> panics occurred during Windows installation.
>
> Any other thoughts on how to troubleshoot this?
>
> -james

My Gentoo setup where the Vbox/VMWare executables are kept is a 3-disk RAID1.

The VMs are kept on a 5-disk RAID6. It's this RAID6 that gets the
workout when the VM gets busy.

If you can the messages that you're concerned about then I can check
for anything similar here. I'm currently running 3 VMs.

Note that if it is a RAID issue that it might not be an mdraid problem
but rather the actual disk drive not being up to the tasks it needs to
perform. I have a bunch of 1TB WD Green drives on my bookshelf due to
RAID problems. I replaced them with WD RAID Edition drives and haven't
seen a problem since.

HTH,
Mark