Apparently, though unproven, at 01:08 on Wednesday 08 June 2011, Walter Dnes
did opine thusly:

> On Tue, Jun 07, 2011 at 05:55:38AM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote
>
> > On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 2:10 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > > Latest portage-2.2.0_alpha38 has changed something with system set and
> > > depclean handling. It now shows this:
> > >
> > > !!! 'app-editors/nano' is part of your system profile.
> > > !!! Unmerging it may be damaging to your system.
> >
> > I saw the same thing here yesterday so I added nano & less to my world
> > file just so I could move on.
>
>   Has anyone ever considered a "virtual/app-editor" ebuild, and letting
> vim/joe/nano/whatever satisfy it?

y'know, now that you mention it:

$ eix -e editor
[I] virtual/editor
     Available versions:  0{tbz2}
     Installed versions:  0{tbz2}(12:10:07 10/06/10)

$ genlop -t editor
 * virtual/editor

     Mon Aug  4 02:31:59 2008 >>> virtual/editor-0

       merge time: 3 seconds.

I think the answer is "Yes"

:-)

the virtual satisfies something like 27 different editors

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com