Apparently, though unproven, at 02:03 on Wednesday 08 June 2011, Dale did
opine thusly:

> Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > Apparently, though unproven, at 01:08 on Wednesday 08 June 2011, Walter
> > Dnes
> >
> > did opine thusly:
> >> On Tue, Jun 07, 2011 at 05:55:38AM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote

> >>    Has anyone ever considered a "virtual/app-editor" ebuild, and letting
> >>
> >> vim/joe/nano/whatever satisfy it?
> >
> > y'know, now that you mention it:
> >
> > $ eix -e editor
> > [I] virtual/editor
> >
> >       Available versions:  0{tbz2}
> >       Installed versions:  0{tbz2}(12:10:07 10/06/10)
> >
> > $ genlop -t editor
> >
> >   * virtual/editor
> >
> >       Mon Aug  4 02:31:59 2008>>>  virtual/editor-0
> >
> >         merge time: 3 seconds.
> >
> > I think the answer is "Yes"
> >
> > :-)
> >
> > the virtual satisfies something like 27 different editors
>
> Then why didn't they do it that way?  Require a editor but let the user
> pick which one and it be part of the system set.  Maybe I am missing
> something here.  It wouldn't be the first time.  ;-)

Yes, you are missing something - what you say is exactly how they now do it.

Previously nano was explicitly in system - set by profile. Now it's the
virtual. iow, pick the one you want.

This change could only happen now as to do it Zac needed GLEP 37 satisfied
properly

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com