On Friday, July 1 at 10:36 (-0500), Harry Putnam said:

> Albert Hopkins <mar...@letterboxes.org> writes:
>
> > On Tuesday, June 28 at 10:57 (-0400), Albert Hopkins said:
> >
> >> Anyway, I will rebuild an image with AHCI support and upload it
> >> shortly.
> >
> > Done, uploaded to the same place:
> >
> > http://starship.python.net/crew/marduk/base-dist.vmdk.bz2
> >
> > I also made the image bigger (10GB).  Oddly enough, it compresses
> > smaller than the other by a couple of megs.
>
> In case you are interested, I had problems with that appliance.
>
> [I'm running virutal box]
>
> I followed James W's walk thru of how to use it with Virtual box.
>
> There is apparently no `portage' installed which meant that emerge
> would fail since /etc/make.profile is a dangling link.

Yeah, sorry if I didn't mention before.  In the interest of size, I
remove the portage tree (and also kernel sources) before creating the
image.  So in order to do portage-related stuff one must first:

# emerge --sync

>  Once that was
> resolved I kept getting really strange output from emerge. It appeared
> to be the output of something like vmstat or maybe the upper portion
> of `top'.  Stuff about user loads and such... right after the first
> few lines of emerge output, and nothing was getting emerged.
>
> Very possible it is pilot error; here is what the output of emerging
> gpm looks like:
>
>   Calculating dependencies... done!
>   [ebuild  N    ] sys-libs/gpm-1.20.6  USE="(-selinux)" 1,251 kB
>
>   Total: 1 package (1 new), Size of downloads: 1,251 kB
>
>   >>> Verifying ebuild manifests
>   >>> Emerging (1 of 1) sys-libs/gpm-1.20.6
>   >>> Jobs: 0 of 1 complete, 1 running                Load avg: 1.75, 1.16,
> 0.95
>
> And there it stays... so emerge does not work.

This appears normal to me...

Oh perhaps because I have "--jobs=2" in EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS
in /etc/make.conf.  That's what the output normally looks like if you
use --jobs...

Nevertheless the output definately looks normal (to me).  You can change
make.conf to suit your tastes.

> So it appears, so far, the appliance is not usable on Vbox.

Should still be usable.

> Oh, I'm referring to the 4GB version.  The 10GB version demands a
> password so couldn't even start on it.

That should not be the case with it requiring a password, or else I
uploaded the wrong image.  Nevertheless, I'll upload another one
shortly.

-a