David W Noon wrote:

> My best suggestion is to create a maximal primary partition as /dev/sdd1
> and use that as your LUKS volume.  That way, LVM will receive the
> partition details from udev and *might* not bother re-reading the
> partition table (but don't bet big bucks on it).

OK, I tried that now with an external drive that also spins down after some
minutes - hdparm -Y does not work for external drives it seems. I made a
single partition /dev/sdj1 (BTW, what will happen if I add 17 more drives?
and I run out of letters?), waited until the drive spun down, issued pvscan
and whooooooosh, the drive is back.

So it seems there is no solution, I think I just have to live with this.
AFAIK spinning up and down often is not too bad for a drive nowadays, but
some drives are 5 years old.

All drives also spin up when I let Digikam retrieve photos from my camera.
And it seems drives with mounted partitions also sometimes spin down then I
delete files, but I cannot reproduce this right now. Strange. But this would
be great, because it's annoying to let a drive spin up just because I delete
a file somewhere.

Thanks for your ideas David, too bad it didn't work.

        Wonko