On Monday 04 July 2011 19:12:50 Jesús J. Guerrero Botella did opine
thusly:
> 2011/7/4 Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com>:
> > Hi,
> >
> > What mine does:  It sort of varies but usually when I login, it
> > may last a couple minutes, usually less, then the Caps Lock and
> > Scroll Lock LED's blink.  The Num Lock key is off if that means
> > anything.  I tried the SysReq keys but it doesn't do anything
> > at all.  According to the messages at the next boot, it doesn't
> > sync or umount either.  The mouse pointer no longer moves
> > either.  At this point, I hit the reset button which causes
> > steam to come out my ears.  I HATE using that button.
> >
> > I'm fairly sure this is not hardware.
>
> You can never be sure about that.
>
> >  Right now, I am in Fluxbox and it
> > works fine.  I also booted to single user and compiled a bunch
> > of stuff and also tried a different kernel too.  I think if it
> > was hardware, it would have had some kind of hick-up during the
> > compile.  I did check temps and all is nice and cool, very cool
> > since my A/C is on full blast.  I think the oven is outside on
> > full blast instead of in the kitchen.  lol  It's HOT here,
> > steamy hot.
>
> You can try turning off the compositing system altogether. You can
> do that by disabling the desktop effects in systemsettings. If
> lockups stop then it's probably something to do with your graphics
> driver and if that's the case you might have better luck with an
> alternative driver.

I get frequent crashes that seem to be related to nouveau.
When I used nvidia drivers, they seemed to have a mind of their own
when it came to memory usage and segfaults.
And the entire abomination that shall not be suffered to live called
"kdepim" *definitely* has a mind of it's own.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com