On 16 July 2011, at 19:11, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
> On 07/16/2011 12:53 PM, Stroller wrote:
>>
>> I have no illusions that attempting this *will* be a pain the ass,
>> because in the past I've updated machines which have been ignored for
>> 18 months, and that required lots of manually digging in the Portage
>> CVS attic and copying files into the local overlay by hand.
>>

> Couldn't you just extract a stage3/snapshot in the root, and then emerge
> -e world? I haven't tried it naturally, but it sounds like a good idea
> to me at this moment.

I guess it may be irrational of me, but I'd really rather not do this because I
fear architecture issues with the binaries. I mean, I guess that generic PPC64
binaries should work, and that's what I'll actually end up compiling myself,
but I'd still be happier with ones that have been *built* on (or specifically
for) a cell.

Stroller.