On Thu, 2011-07-21 at 06:26 +0100, Mick wrote:
> On Thursday 21 Jul 2011 03:29:17 Adam Carter wrote:
> > amd64 means any x86 64bit platform, so Intel too.
> >
> > march=native is good if you're not using distcc, or if you're only
> > using distcc on core2 boxes. Otherwise be specific.
>
> I recommend using the "64 bit profile (amd64) for >= GCC 4.3" which shows -
> march=core2.  This is what I use here with multilib and had no problems.

Ive just stumbled on something weird with march=native:

At some point I had march=prescott on a core2 E4600 running 32bit -
worked well.  Changed to march=native and did some upgrades with a few
odd things like asterisk segfaulting in a glibc library afterwards, and
some things not building.  Then to add confusion, I changed to an
pentium Duo E6600 (flies!) and added another stick of ram.  More odd
things happening such as reiserfs oopsing on shutdown.

Last night the penny dropped and I looked the new processor up and
changed to march=core2 and have mostly corrected (recompiled) the
damage.

So not sure about march=native now as it is only what was built with
native thats been problematic.  With 20-20 hindsight it was perhaps
predictable ...

BillK