-original message-
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New computer and Gentoo
From: Bill Kenworthy <bi...@iinet.net.au>
Date: 2011-07-21 12:54

>On Thu, 2011-07-21 at 06:26 +0100, Mick wrote:
>> On Thursday 21 Jul 2011 03:29:17 Adam Carter wrote:
>> > amd64 means any x86 64bit platform, so Intel too.
>> >
>> > march=native is good if you're not using distcc, or if you're only
>> > using distcc on core2 boxes. Otherwise be specific.
>>
>> I recommend using the "64 bit profile (amd64) for >= GCC 4.3" which shows -
>> march=core2.  This is what I use here with multilib and had no problems.
>
>Ive just stumbled on something weird with march=native:
>
>At some point I had march=prescott on a core2 E4600 running 32bit -
>worked well.  Changed to march=native and did some upgrades with a few
>odd things like asterisk segfaulting in a glibc library afterwards, and
>some things not building.  Then to add confusion, I changed to an
>pentium Duo E6600 (flies!) and added another stick of ram.  More odd
>things happening such as reiserfs oopsing on shutdown.
>
>Last night the penny dropped and I looked the new processor up and
>changed to march=core2 and have mostly corrected (recompiled) the
>damage.
>
>So not sure about march=native now as it is only what was built with
>native thats been problematic.  With 20-20 hindsight it was perhaps
>predictable ...

IMO you're not supposed to compile part of the system with -march=<something>
and the rest with -march=native. The instructions (and optimizations) emitted
by -march=native might not be compatible with your previous -march.

I had deployed more than 10 Gentoo servers using -march=native without any
problem.

CMIIW

Rgds,
--