On Friday 22 July 2011 19:13:35 Grant wrote:

> Wouldn't a sufficiently large swap (100GB for example) completely prevent
> out of memory conditions and the oom-killer?

Of course, on any system with more than a few dozen MB of RAM, but I can't
imagine any combination of running programs whose size could add up to even
a tenth of that, with or without library sharing (somebody will be along
with an example in a moment). For instance I'm running four instances of
BOINC projects here, one on each core, with oodles of space to spare and no
swapping. Mind you, I do have 16GB RAM :-)

Having said that I ought to go and shrink my swap partitions, but my disks
are only half-allocated already, so I don't see the point.

--
Rgds
Peter                   Linux Counter number 5290