On 07/22/2011 11:13 AM, Grant wrote:

> Wouldn't a sufficiently large swap (100GB for example) completely
> prevent out of memory conditions and the oom-killer?

There's always someone who can pull a corner case out of his hat :)

I can't remember the details now, but there was a piece of code in
the virtualbox svn repository that triggered a bug in gcc.  The code
in question caused gcc to loop forever while parsing, using more RAM
with every iteration.

I watched my 4 gigs of RAM slowly fill up, and then watched nervously
as my 4 gigs of swap began to fill up as well.  After the swapping
started, the machine was almost unusably slow.  I typed Ctrl-Z and
waited about five minutes until the gcc process finally suspended so
I could kill the compile.