Mark Shields wrote:
On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 10:26 AM, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com <mailto:rdalek1...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    OK.  New theory here.  This came about in another thread about the
    shiney new kernel, that isn't new by the way.  Anyway, look at
    this crap:

    <<< SNIP >>>

    Why are some using the group users and others using my test user
    dale2?  I don't think I have a group dale2.  Could this be the
    cause?  What exactly tells Linux to give those permissions?  I
    looked around in /etc for some file that would set this but I
    can't find anything.

    Even if this isn't the cause, how do I go about fixing this?

    Dale

    :-)  :-)

The group shows instead of the GID, meaning the group is most definitely on your PC. You may want to check/change your primary group for dale. You can do this with:

usermod -g users dale

Then update the permissions on the files:

chown -vR dale:users/home/dale/*

You may want to backup your home directory first.

I got it fixed and this helped a lot. I also took the backup advice to, just in case. ;-)

Thanks much.

Dale

:-)  :-)