On 07/25/2011 08:00 PM, Jeff Cranmer wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-07-25 at 10:45 -0400, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
>> On 07/22/11 21:56, Jeff Cranmer wrote:
>>> Is there anyone who can help me recover my raid array?

>> I think this one should have worked? It seems to have found the
>> superblock on /dev/sda, at least.
>>
>> Anyway, I imagine everyone (myself included) is afraid to tell you to do
>> anything at this point that might trash your data. My advice now would
>> be to put it back where it worked, and make a backup.
>>
> I already have a backup of the data (much of it in multiple locations).
> If it gets trashed, I can recover all critical data.  Right now, I just
> want to get the storage space back.

If you have the data elsewhere, you can just wipe the disks and recreate
the array, right?

I usually use this rather than read the mdadm --create manpage:

http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Software_RAID_Install#Setting_up_the_RAID

If you want it to work in Windows... Well, I'm not sure how to *create*
a fakeraid with mdadm. The last time I tried (6 years ago?), dmraid was
the only way. In that case I would spend $25 on a bargain bin Adaptec
card and consider it an investment in future-you's mental health.