On 08/10/2011 03:04 PM, Michael Schreckenbauer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am Mittwoch, 10. August 2011, 14:40:31 schrieb walt:
>> On 08/09/2011 08:34 PM, Jeff Cranmer wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to upgrade kde from 4.4 to 4.6, and I've run into a problem.
>>>
>>> Plasma-runtime-4.6.3 is failing.  The error appears to be
>>> redefinition of 'struct QMetaTypeID<Plasma::Service*>'
>>
>> I don't use kde so I can't be specific, but usually a redefinition is
>> just a warning -- unless the package is compiled with the -Wall flag or
>> equivalent.

(Of course I meant -Werror, sorry.)

> No, this is plain wrong. Redefinition of a struct is an error in C and C++
>
> ~$cat foo.c
> struct foo {
>         int i;
> };
>
> struct foo {
>         char* v;
> };
>
> ~$gcc foo.c -o foo
> foo.c:5:8: error: redefinition of 'struct foo'
> foo.c:1:8: note: originally defined here

Hm.  I know I've seen compiler redefinition messages thousands of times
over the years.  Is it really possible that all of those thousands were
errors instead of warnings?  If that's true then I've wasted a lot more
time tracking them down than I care to think about :)