On Wed, 2011-08-10 at 16:16 -0700, walt wrote:
> On 08/10/2011 03:04 PM, Michael Schreckenbauer wrote:
> > Hi,

> >> I don't use kde so I can't be specific, but usually a redefinition is
> >> just a warning -- unless the package is compiled with the -Wall flag or
> >> equivalent.
>
> (Of course I meant -Werror, sorry.)
>
> > No, this is plain wrong. Redefinition of a struct is an error in C and C++
> >
> > ~$cat foo.c
> > struct foo {
> >         int i;
> > };
> >
> > struct foo {
> >         char* v;
> > };
> >
> > ~$gcc foo.c -o foo
> > foo.c:5:8: error: redefinition of 'struct foo'
> > foo.c:1:8: note: originally defined here
>
> Hm.  I know I've seen compiler redefinition messages thousands of times
> over the years.  Is it really possible that all of those thousands were
> errors instead of warnings?  If that's true then I've wasted a lot more
> time tracking them down than I care to think about :)

I've seen lots of compiler warnings in the past.  This one, however, was
flagged as an 'Error', not as a warning.  It was the last message before
the compile failed, so I think it's reasonable to assume that therein
lies the problem?

I have emerged all system files, as well as a lot of the world files
that are currently out of date.  This particular compilation failure
happened late in an emerge -NDuav kdebase-meta, as the first part of the
upgrade from kde4.4 to kde4.6

Running revdep-rebuild following the emerge didn't help.  I still have
some world files that are out of date, but all of those are allegedly
not deep dependencies of kdebase-eta.  Last time I tried to do a full
emerge -NDuav world, however, I was then unable to operate my HDPVR
unit, as it suffered a lot of usb failures.  I had to recover my system
from an earlier clonezila backup, so now I'm trying to sneak up on the
problem by doing as little as possible each emerge, then checking
everything works and running another OS clone before continuing.

Unfortunately, kde is now broken, so I'm operating my mythtv interface
via gnome while I attempt to recover kde.  It's probable that the fault
lies in one of the other packages within world that are still to be
upgraded, but it would be nice to get some clues as to which one is the
culprit, so I can continue to inch up on whatever is breaking my HDPVR
based mythtv.

Jeff