Am Mittwoch, 7. September 2011, 23:33:35 schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:
> > The more I think about this merge of / and /usr, the dumber I think the
> > idea is.  As I wrote in an earlier message on this list, the initramfs
> > will be many times larger than the kernel itself.  Indeed, my /boot
> > partition is only 32 MiB, and that will be too small to contain all the
> > extra libraries and programs to run the initramfs script.
>
> I don't see any problem with an initramfs larger than the kernel. It
> will handle a lot of stuff. But if you don't want to change your /boot
> partition, then don't upgrade to new kernels.

How about accepting the fact, that there are a lot of things out there "you
don't see"? Get over it. People have told a lot of valid reasons. They might
not seem valid to you, but that's not their problem.
Have you *ever* thought about machines, that are not x86 or x86_64?
Here's an intersting read:
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/72769

> Change happens.

That's right. And sometimes these changes are simply bad ideas.

> >> Putting /etc on a read-only filesystem seems a really bad idea.
> >
> > To say the least.
>
> It works, and it makes life easier for upstream. Which are the ones
> writting the code.

Hu? There's one upstream writing all the code for all the stuff we use? That's
news to me.

> Regards.

Regards,
Michael