Am Donnerstag, 8. September 2011, 11:13:58 schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:
> On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 4:09 AM, Michael Schreckenbauer <grim...@gmx.de>
wrote:
> > Am Mittwoch, 7. September 2011, 23:33:35 schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:
> >> I don't see any problem with an initramfs larger than the kernel. It
> >> will handle a lot of stuff. But if you don't want to change your /boot
> >> partition, then don't upgrade to new kernels.
> >
> > How about accepting the fact, that there are a lot of things out there
> > "you don't see"? Get over it. People have told a lot of valid reasons.
> > They might not seem valid to you, but that's not their problem.
>
> Relax man, I keep saying that is *I* who don't see a valid reason.
> That doesn't mean there is no valid reason; I thought that went
> without saying. Sorry if it sounded like I was invalidating all you
> guys reasons.
>
> My primary point was that, I *you* have your reasons to keep a
> separated /usr, then by all means do it. You will only need an
> initramfs.

That's the point. You *need* an initramfs. You know KISS?

> > Have you *ever* thought about machines, that are not x86 or x86_64?
> > Here's an intersting read:
> > http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/72769
>
> No, I haven't thought about them, because I don't use them. What it
> has to do with anything?

Well, I linked a mail. MIPS is mentioned. As I read it, there are cases with
MIPS, where the initramfs *has* to be built into the kernel *and* the kernel-
image is size restricted. That's the problem with an initramfs bigger than the
kernel itself.

> >> Change happens.
> >
> > That's right. And sometimes these changes are simply bad ideas.
>
> If so you think, then write the code to support the *really good* ideas.

Ah. Criticism is only allowed, if you are writing the code. Not in my world,
sorry.

> >> It works, and it makes life easier for upstream. Which are the ones
> >> writting the code.
> >
> > Hu? There's one upstream writing all the code for all the stuff we use?
> > That's news to me.
>
> Well, in this case by "upstream" I was meaning the Gentoo devs.

Not all of the gentoo-devs are in favour of the idea.

> Regards.

Regards,
Michael