On Thu, 8 Sep 2011 04:03:53 PM Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:

> No, I think you haven't been reading carefully enough. Again:
>
> 1. In 2011, we need a dynamic /dev tree. I'm not going to argue why.
> 2. udev, successor of devfs, which was successor of the classical /dev
> tree, after years of design and development iterations, solves the
> problem. It's not perfect, but I think that is as close as it could
> be, for the problem it tries to solve, and with the feature set it
> has.
> 3. udev needs either an initramfs, because it needs an early user
> space, or a /usr inside /.
>
> From this 3 points, I make my conclusion: keep up with the changes, or
> code an alternative (that includes using something like mdev).

>From my point of view, as an old Solaris admin, point 3) is the problem.

If what-ever-it-is is needed during boot, it should be in /sbin or /bin or
/lib

If it is curently in /usr/* then it is in the wrong place, and that package
should be modified.

Later in the thread you mentioned a bluetooth keyboard. This obviously
requires either a driver module, or a bluetooth server process, or similar,
which  belong in /lib{32,64}/modules or /sbin

Having udev able to execute arbitrary code during boot looks like yet another
large security hole opening up. At least keep the code it can execute tied
down to the directories that were set up for this purpose.

--
Reverend Paul Colquhoun, ULC.    http://andor.dropbear.id.au/~paulcol
 Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.