On Sep 13, 2011 3:16 AM, "Michael Mol" <mike...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 3:41 PM, Michael Schreckenbauer <grim...@gmx.de>
wrote:
> > On Monday, 12. September 2011 15:18:53 Michael Mol wrote:

> >> It's not specifically that you need to run arbitrary scripts to mount
> >> /usr. It's that it's unknown that /usr must be mounted before some
> >> hotplug events are handled.
> >
> > Claiming "this is not fixable... unless you forbid the use of arbitrary
> > binaries from udev rules" implies, that you need to run arbitrary
scripts to
> > mount /usr.
>
> No, it states that it's not solveable for the broadest set of cases (I
> hesitate to say 'universally') unless you can run arbitrary scripts
> which may be in /usr.
>
> Consider it possible that nfsd is needed to mount /usr. The
> credentials needed for NFS to connect to the server are on an
> encrypted partition. The key for decrypting that partition is stored
> on a USB flash drive. The USB flash drive is formatted using a very
> recent version of NTFS. FUSE is necessary to read that flash drive's
> filesystem.
>
> In this scenario, the NFS binaries and FUSE binaries are located under
/usr.

> It's this kind of scenario that falls under the general class that
> udev's trying to solve. If I understand it properly, the mentality is,
> "I can't forsee what distros and sysadmins will want to do, I get bug
> reports when peoples' configurations fail because they were trying to
> load things from unmounted filesystems, so if I say the filesystem
> *must* be mounted (or they must use an initramfs) in order to use
> udev, those bug reports will solve themselves."
>
> > Otherwise a fix would be to mount /usr with whatever is needed to
> > do this and then run the arbitrary scripts. Sadly udev does not support
this.

> Which requires some kind of dependency or retry scheme, which adds
> complexity to udev that the Fedora dev decided he didn't want to spend
> the time on.
>
> --
> :wq

Hmmm... after reading Michael (non_grimlog)'s explanation, I'm starting to
understand udev's dev's thoughts.

It seems too many people (mis)use udev to execute something in /usr while at
the same time using a separated /usr that needs to be mounted first. Too
many people are perhaps too lazy to RTFM, and blame the resulting boot
failure to udev.

Understandable, but his way out is instead by forcing a 'way of life' that's
incompatible with what many sysadmins (especially Gentoo sysadmins) are
familiar with.

So the solution IMO should be:

* Keep udev as it was before (i.e., living in / instead of in /usr) and
somehow make sure that everyone RTFM/RTFFAQ, or

* Make two versions of udev, one which lives in / for those who've done
their homework, and another version in /usr for the ignoramuses

Users of 'Technical Distros' like Gentoo can choose between root-udev or
usr-udev, while 'Less Technical Distros' can just use usr-udev
out-of-the-box.

Rgds,