On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 23:28:07 -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:

>   And for those that claim /var would never be needed early, what if
> somebody's weirdo setup wants a network connection early?  I assume
> they'd want the firewall to be up when the network goes up.  Ever heard
> of /var/lib/iptables/rules-save ?

This is why the whole /usr issue is irrelevant and not a fix at all. All
it does is avoid the most common breakages caused by udev trying to run
all its rules too early in the boot process. Putting /var on / would
"fix" your example, but what if a rule required access to an NFS mount?

Every time you fix one of these breakages, you are kludging around the
real problem.

--
Neil Bothwick

Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film.