On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 11:26:36 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:

> I think you have a specific view that is likely the very best thing to
> do for your situation, what ever that is, be it work, office, server
> farm. I don't know. I'm guessing however, that in your world machines
> are always turned on, burning power, and running cron jobs in those
> environment makes lots of sense.

Bear in mind I was saying an unattended cron is my reason FOR doing a
separate fetch.

> In my world, which is just a lowly home user of Linux for nearly 15
> years now, many of the machines I take care of spend more time turned
> off than on. cron jobs don't work when there's no power applied, and
> while you can let the machine immediately catch up when the machine is
> powered back up, in my world of futures trading I need to control CPU
> and network usage to ensure that both downloads and builds don't
> impact my opportunity to make a trade and hopefully make some money.
> As I write this email I'm currently in my 23rd S&P futures trade of
> the day which at this point is just about 5 hours old. Some of these
> trades take only a few minutes and likely wouldn't execute correctly
> if portage was building KDE.

That is a rather different usage, certainly to mine and probably to the
OP too. In your situation, where timely and correct updates are so
important, I'd be tempted to build packages in a chroot on a less
important system and do an emerge -ku world when everything was ready and
the time was right.

--
Neil Bothwick

Dolly Parton-- silicone based life