On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 17:07:45 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:

> > There's not point in doing the fetch first, portage has done parallel
> > fetching for some time - it's faster to let the distfiles download
> > while the first package is compiling.
> >
> > emerge -auDN @world covers all of that - except the -j which is
> > system-dependent.

> Quite true about the parallel fetch, but I still do this anyway
> because I want to know all the code is local before I start. With 12
> processor cores I often build the first file before the second has
> been downloaded. Also I don't want to start a big build, say 50-70
> updates, and then find out an hour later when I come back that some
> portage mirror choked on finding a specific file and the whole thing
> died 10 minutes in. This way I have a better chance of getting to the
> end in one pass.

--keep-going will take care of that, and making sure there are for F
flags in the --ask output before hitting Y.

> Anyway, it works well for this old dog, and in my mind there is a good
> reason to fetch before building but I can see how others might not
> want to do that.

I use it too, but for a different reason. I run emerge --sync from a cron
script, followed by emerge -f world, so all the tarballs are downloaded
before I even start.

--
Neil Bothwick

Master of all I survey (at the moment, empty pizza boxes)