On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 10:46:02 +0200
Joost Roeleveld <jo...@antarean.org> wrote:

> > Anyway, Debian is the only "big" distro recommending separated /usr,
> > and then only for multiuser setups. It's really years since I've
> > looked at the recommended partition schemes: when I started using
> > Linux, a separated /home was almost a must. And we had tiny hard
> > drives then. Now get out of my lawn.
>
> Gentoo still has some guides recommending split /usr:
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86+raid+lvm2-quickinstall.xml
>
> There are several people using this type of layout.
> The suggested partitioning scheme is usually for beginner
> installations. Not necessarily for larger installations with specific
> requirements.

Using layout suggestions from install docs to justify what the udev
maintainers want to do is simply disingenuous.

The install docs are obviously a guideline only and do not form any
sort of requirement. That is obvious to anyone with some experience in
the field. Anyone suggesting otherwise is either being hyper-literal or
is following some sneaky agenda. Either way, neither type should be
allowed anywhere near policy making as their goals conflict with the
community.

> The debian guide talks about 20GB drives. I don't have those anymore.
> the smallest drive I have is a 320GB IDE-drive for the database
> server in the lab.

I need 73G SCSI drives for some old servers still running, they cost a
fortune from Dell. The nice man from Dell sales tells me they haven't
had 20G drives in the stores for years and years, he mentioned numbers
like "5" or "8"

:-)

--
Alan McKinnnon