On Sep 21, 2011 9:13 PM, "Francisco Blas Izquierdo Riera (klondike)" <
klond...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> Well deprecated version removal tends to happen because we are not going
> to aim for those versions stabilization AND there is a newer version
> available AND upstream tends to ignore bugs happening on older versions.

Aha, thanks for the explanation.

I do agree with the stance to not push for stabilization if older versions
will not be supported by upstream. However, since -r13 is by definition 5
revisions later than -r8, and to the best of my knowledge has no
show-stopping bugs (at least, none on my systems -- touch wood!), IMHO -r13
shouldn't be removed. Just remove the intermediate revisions.

Especially since going from 2.6.x to 3.x exposed a LOT of package breakages
(e.g., packages hard-coded to expect exactly /^2\.6/), I'm still not
comfortable enough using 3.x. Maybe later in December.

> What this means for you is that we are not going to force you to upgrade
> but if something fails you are in your own ;)

Fair enough. But now I have to do additional acrobatics for new systems ;-)

> PS: Next time come by #gentoo-hardened we won't bite you, I promise ;)

Proomiiiise...? (in the voice of a little girl)

:-D

Rgds,