Am Dienstag 27 September 2011, 04:05:31 schrieb Grant Edwards:
> On 2011-09-27, Michael Orlitzky <mich...@orlitzky.com> wrote:
> > On 09/26/11 16:13, Grant Edwards wrote:
> >> That's hilarious.
> >>
> >> The Linux developers are _constantly_ changing APIs in ways that break
> >> existing device driver code.  There are repeatedly wholesale
> >> re-designs of some APIs that happen between minor versions of a
> >> supposedly "stable" kernel.
> >>
> >> We have to touch our NetBSD and FreeBSD drivers maybe once every 3-4
> >> years.  Often our Linux drivers have to be updated every 3-4 _months_
> >> to keep up with changes in the kernel that break things.
> >>
> >> I suppose one could try to claim that people who ship Linux drivers
> >> for their hardware aren't "users" of the kernel, and therefore our
> >> dealing with such breakage isn't a "user experience".
> >
> > Contribute your drivers upstream. When the devs change an API, they'll
> > update your code for you.
>
> That sounds good, but in practice it doesn't work.
>
>  1) The kernel developers don't support any existing customers.  Bugs
>     are only fixed for customers who are willing to run the next
>     kernel verison.  I've got customers that are still running 2.4
>     kernels. 2.6.18 is still widely used.  Will the kernel developers
>     add new features, support for new hardware, or fix bugs for those
>     customers.  Not a chance.

so what? There are long term stable kernels with no api changes. Hmm...

>  2) The kernel developers only make sure that drivers compile.  They
>     don't have the hardware or knowlege required to actually test
>     them.  One of our drivers _is_ in the kernel.  Sure, it builds,
>     but AFAIK, it hasn't actually worked for at least 10 years.

and nobody complains on lkml about it - seems that nobody uses your hardware.

If something stops working (called a 'regression' btw) it has to be fixed.
Linus is very clear about that.

> Trying to maintain two drivers (one in-kernel and one out-of-kernel)
> just creates twice as much work for no gain.

then don't be outside the kernel.

--
#163933