On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 9:05 PM, Grant Edwards
<grant.b.edwa...@gmail.com> wrote:
<SNIP>
>> Contribute your drivers upstream. When the devs change an API, they'll
>> update your code for you.
>
> That sounds good, but in practice it doesn't work.
>
>  1) The kernel developers don't support any existing customers.  Bugs
>    are only fixed for customers who are willing to run the next
>    kernel verison.  I've got customers that are still running 2.4
>    kernels. 2.6.18 is still widely used.  Will the kernel developers
>    add new features, support for new hardware, or fix bugs for those
>    customers.  Not a chance.

Grant,
   Check out the Long Term Stable family of kernels. It's a bit hard
right now due to the status of the kernel web site being
down/changing. However you can see here at Andi Kleen's blog that he's
interested in participation:

http://halobates.de/blog/p/38

I know from watching the lkml list over the years that updates to long
term stable kernels come out periodically and do include fixes. I
don't know about new drivers, but reading Andi's blog it seems he's
potentially open to receiving driver updates from folks interested in
having the driver included.

Hope this helps,
Mark