Michael Mol wrote:
On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 12:55 PM, Dale<rdalek1...@gmail.com>  wrote:
Mark Knecht wrote:
    Is there a portage option that will limit the number of cores used
by emerge? For instance, in a chroot on a 12 core machine I want to
limit emerge to not using more than 3 cores?
On my machine, even if I tell emerge to only do one job at a time, it still
staggers around the cores.  I guess it makes the CPU heat spread out evenly
or something.
Difference between "number of cores" and "which cores"..."-j1" should
mean it won't use more than one core at a time, but it might switch
around which core when the process gets descheduled and brought back.
(Or when a process ends and another is spawned)

I'm not certain of why but when I am doing anything CPU intensive, it bounces from one core to another every 15 or 20 seconds. I just assume it is a heat thing. I created a 6Gb tarball the other day that took quite a while. It looks like a bar graph equalizer with the processes bouncing around from core to core. I just thought it worth mentioning in case the OP didn't realize this. Heck, I have had this happen with Seamonkey and I don't think it even sees multiple cores or anything.

I also forgot to mention that the IONICE line goes in make.conf if you want it to be used each time.

Dale

:-)  :-)