Grant Edwards wrote:
On 2011-10-04, Neil Bothwick<n...@digimed.co.uk>  wrote:
On Tue, 04 Oct 2011 04:49:56 -0500, Dale wrote:

Subject line says it pretty well.  Is grub2 stable, who uses it and can
you post your experience on the switching process?  Was it difficult?
I use it on my netbook, which I admittedly don't boot more than a couple
of times a month. It's stable, I can't comment on the switching process
as I used GRUB2 from the start with this machine, it seemed a good time
to get to grips with it.

GRUB2 is neither complicated nor difficult, but it is different.
I've only used it on Ubuntu, and maybe it's just Ubuntu's
implementation -- but it was both complicated and difficult.  There
are 10X as many files, and to change anything you edit a whole set of
configuration files and run a utility that generates _another_ set of
configuration files.

Compared to "vi /boot/grub/menu.lst; reboot", that's complicated.

If you try to think in terms of legacy GRUB, you will have more
problems than if you approach is as learning a new system.
At first glace, grub2 looks like a minature Unix installation whose
purpose is to boot a bigger Unix installation.  It's got it's own init
system and it's own set of init scripts.

Could this fix the mess with /usr and /var having to be on / or a initramfs?

Dale

:-)  :-)