On 2011-10-04 20:56, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:

Replying two mails in one...

Dale:
>Is grub2 stable, who uses it and can you post your experience on the
>switching process?

I use it (1.99-rc1, which is gone from Portage) for booting my UEFI
(with GPT partition table) motherboard until I can get coreboot running
on it... :-)

Experience wise it's, well, not much difference than old grub, with the
exception of the change in paradigm: you don't edit the config file
directly but instead edit "pre-config" files in order to get a working
solution. For me the default settings work fine (well, I haven't been
able to change the resolution); it finds my installed kernels in /boot
and put's them in the boot list (the boot screen list) together with a
single user version for rescue operations. IMO, it's over-complicated (I
agree with Grant) but if the default settings works (with tweaks) for you...

>Was it difficult?  Easy?  Somewhere between?

Hm... Well, see above...

Canek:
> Me, I want my laptop/desktop computers to have the best resolution
> available from moment zero, even before loading the kernel, and not a

I agree with this sentiment although I think that the video firmware (or
motherboard firmware) should handle this...

> single flicker in my screen until my GNOME 3 is fully loaded. So I'm

Yes, agree again, although I think Gnome (2,3+) is a festering piece of

> gonna play with grub2 (or /firstboot, if it materializes) until it's

Ok, cool. Please share your experiences. I'll try playing (when I can
find the time) with coreboot and FILO:
http://www.coreboot.org/Payloads#FILO

Best regards

Peter K