On Tuesday 04 Oct 2011 04:58:00 Michael Orlitzky wrote:
> On 10/03/2011 10:19 PM, Pandu Poluan wrote:
> > If I may add: try a cup of normal (i.e. non-decaf) coffee about 1 hour
> > after you start using the computer.
>
> Ok, but how do you survive the first hour?

Coffee is a stimulant so it countenances depression, at some low level, which
the latest research claims to have measured.

On the other hand, coffee is also a chemical which generates toxins in the
body which increase stress, accumulation of fat, loss of hair, etc.

It seems to me that you can use coffee to publish any story in the papers that
you happen to fancy ...

There's truth about the claim that staying indoors will not generally get you
enough sunlight (being outdoors on a cloudy day will get you 10s to 100s times
more light).  Sunlight is extremely important both for SAD (especially if you
are a sufferer) and for strong bones (delaying osteoporosis).

However, what comes with advancing age is a general decline in energy and
sight.  This means that staring at a screen causes more noticeable eye strain
than in the past.  This also means that trying to process information which
requires any degree of concentration/intensity will cause tiredness.  Hence,
it sucks life out of life.  It takes longer to do what you used to do when
younger and there's less energy to do anything else if you spend hours in
front of a computer.

I think that the solution is to consciously try to take breaks away from
sitting in front of a PC and engage in more physical activity - ideally
outdoors.
--
Regards,
Mick