It's time for a new desktop, I'd rather the the money to Amazon or Ebuyer
than the Inland Revenue. I'm currently running a Core2Duo system, but use
AMD before that, so I have no real allegiances.

I was thinking of something like an AMD 1100T 6 core CPU, the new
Bulldozers are expensive and initial reports are not that promising, but
an Intel that gives the same bang per buck would do. I'm thinking
Gigabyte for motherboard, based on comments made here in similar threads
(like the one Dale started a while ago). I need lots of SATA ports
(fortunately, I bought a pair of 2TB drives a fortnight ago, just before
the prices went ballistic).

I'm not a gamer, but I want a system with plenty of grunt. Video
performance is not critical, on board would suffice, except I need
something with dual output to drive two monitors. Do any of the onboard
jobbies do this or is a separate Nvidia still the best option?

Thoughts would be welcome, and please feel free to start your own ATI vs
Nvidia and AMD vs Intel flamewars. OK, I'd rather you didn't, but I'm not
about to waste electrons asking for the impossible :)

--
Neil Bothwick

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.