Neil Bothwick wrote:

> It's time for a new desktop, I'd rather the the money to Amazon or
Ebuyer
> than the Inland Revenue. I'm currently running a Core2Duo system, but
use
> AMD before that, so I have no real allegiances.
>
> I was thinking of something like an AMD 1100T 6 core CPU, the new
> Bulldozers are expensive and initial reports are not that promising,
but
> an Intel that gives the same bang per buck would do.

For AMD I'd recommend to go for a 960T :
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103995
It's a 95W and as a Zosma it's actually a 6-core. Most of those (not all
unfortunately) can be unlocked to a 6-core. Has Turbo functionality.

For Intel a 2500K is the way to go but maybe you should wait for Ivy
Bridge.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072

> I'm thinking
> Gigabyte for motherboard, based on comments made here in similar
threads
> (like the one Dale started a while ago).

Go for ASUS or Gigabyte. For AMD make sure you pick one that is
compatible with the Bulldozer Architecture. For example :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131754
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128509

Those are UEFI boards which will help with larger AF drives.

For Intel go with Z68 boards.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131790
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128507
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157264

> I need lots of SATA ports
> (fortunately, I bought a pair of 2TB drives a fortnight ago, just
before
> the prices went ballistic).

Above boards have lots of SATA ports.

> I'm not a gamer, but I want a system with plenty of grunt. Video
> performance is not critical, on board would suffice, except I need
> something with dual output to drive two monitors. Do any of the onboard
> jobbies do this or is a separate Nvidia still the best option?

Dual output what ? DSUB, DVI ? A fanless card :
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102933

Something more powerful :
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150543