Am 2011-11-16 01:20, schrieb Neil Bothwick:
> On Wed, 16 Nov 2011 00:51:44 +0100, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
>
>> I play with the thought of getting myself a nice new machine for
>> work, better to spend some money on hardware than on taxes (2012 is
>> near ...).
>
> My thoughts exactly.

Same world ;-)

>> Performance is one issue, another one is energy/noise ... the
>> phenom 1090t seems to pull in a lot and need good (and maybe noisy)
>> fans.
>
> I'll be using my existing water cooling setup, so no need to worry
> about that. However, after some research, I've decided to stick with
> Intel and orders an i7 2600k today. I wasn't sure whether it was
> worth the extra over the i5, but knew I would only regret it the
> first time I had to wait for something. I rationalised the cost by
> getting "only" 8GB of RAM, but leaving the slots free for another 8GB
> should I feel the need for it.

I am more Intel-biased also, as I always chose Intel for my own boxes.
I quickly clicked a new box together in some online configurator, the
difference between 8G and 12G wasn't too much, I could get that in by
downgrading a bit on the graphics card (which even in the lower version
would be much more powerful than the one I have right now).

I use 8G now and it rarely gets really to full use. It just doesn't feel
too clever to not take one step up when buying new stuff ;-)

Very often one looks back a year after and regrets "I should have chosen
the bigger CPU, more RAM, whatever" .... I will decide the RAM-issue
when I order.

>> I just start to compare. 6 cores, yep, sounds good for both
>> gentoo-compile-work and VMs ...
>
> The Intel chips are only four cores, but appear to give a lot more
> bang-per-core, especially with the i7's hyperthreading.

yep. That would mean 8 threads w/ i7 (4 "real" and 4 "hyper") vs. 6
"real" threads w/ amd?

I also tend to i7 2600k, some reviews look very good.

I will see what your reports tell us :-)

Stefan