On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 6:52 PM, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> OK.  I jumped into LVM.  I took my spare drive, put it to use with LVM.
>  Then copied data from my super large drive to it and backed up some to DVDs
> that wouldn't fit.  Then I put the big drive on LVM and put the stuff back.
>  Now comes the problem.  I use LABELS in fstab and would like to continue
> that.  I can't figure out how to get the LABEL set for the LVM file system
> tho.  This is my info:

> root@fireball / # lvdisplay
>  --- Logical volume ---
>  LV Name                /dev/data/data1
>  VG Name                data
>  LV UUID                ZvsgH6-PI0M-NqVd-op9P-Crsy-IEnz-iKoTfp
>  LV Write Access        read/write
>  LV Status              available
>  # open                 1
>  LV Size                931.00 GiB
>  Current LE             238336
>  Segments               2
>  Allocation             inherit
>  Read ahead sectors     auto
>  - currently set to     256
>  Block device           254:0
>
> root@fireball / #
>

> I tried e2label since it has ext4 for the file system.  It didn't work and I
> don't know for sure what to point it to for the device.  I can't point to
> the drive itself since there are now two in the setup.
>
> What am I missing here?  It's simple I'm sure but I'm missing it.

You should be able to use e2label (or "tune2fs -L" as I do) on the
/dev/data/data1 device to set the filesystem label. That's the logical
volume that the operating system needs to mount.

# tune2fs -L mylabel /dev/data/data1

should do what you need.

I haven't done this with ext4, but I have used LVM with ext2, ext3 and
labels in this fashion.
--
Manuel A. McLure WW1FA <man...@mclure.org> <http://www.mclure.org>
...for in Ulthar, according to an ancient and significant law,