You are correct, the internal card reader was the problem, I tried today in
a Dell Vostro running ubuntu, and everything worked nice, even tried in
another Dell laptop with windows, and the card was recognized as well. It
seems the problem is indeed my hardware, so I'm buying a usb card reader to
shove it inside the eeepc to finally gain 16GB that I'm needing to do some
more interesting stuff in it.

Érico V. Porto