On Nov 20, 2011 10:56 AM, "Dale" <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Pandu Poluan wrote:
>>
>> So, any progress/updates on the attempt to replace udev with busybox's
mdev?

>> As for my case, it's working well on XenServer and VMware ESX /
>> vSphere (haven't found the time to test a VirtualBox installation
>> yet).
>>
>> Except for one annoyance:
>>
>> Now, I've done the steps put forth by waltdnes here:
>>
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/gentoo/user/242563
>>
>> ... but every "eix-sync&&  emerge -avuD @world" finds me having to
>>
>> re-edit /usr/portage/virtual/dev-manager/dev-manager-0.ebuild, or else
>> portage wants to emerge sys-apps/makedev and sys-fs/static-dev
>>
>> Is there a way to 'force' portage to use the edited
>> dev-manager-0.ebuild and not the original version pulled in by
>> eix-sync?
>>
>> Rgds,
>

> Question:  Is this going to be added to the shiney new Gentoo wiki at
some point?  The wiki needs some more content for sure.  ;-)

> I didn't know if ya'll had thought of this before or not.

Well, although I can't read @waltdnes' mind, I'm sure he has that in mind.

We're still ironing out the showstoppers. As soon as the generic
glitches/annoyances (e.g., my 'fight' against portage reverting the .ebuild
edits) are handled, I'm sure a w.g.o article will automagically appears ;-)

Rgds,