On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 5:39 AM,  <cov...@ccs.covici.com> wrote:
> Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Saturday 26 Nov 2011 15:22:15 Michael Mol wrote:
>> > I just wanted to share an experience I had today with optimizing parallel
>> > builds after discovering "-l" for Make...
>> >
>> > I've got a little more tweaking I still want to do, but this is pretty
>> > awesome...
>> >
>> > http://funnybutnot.wordpress.com/2011/11/26/optimizing-parallel-builds/
>> >
>> > ZZ
>>
>> Thanks for sharing!  How do you determine the optimum value for -l?
>
> How do you get emerge not to display number of jobs and load average --

The display is something emerge will show you if you've asked it to
build in parallel (which you did, by passing -j to emerge. That's
different from putting -j in MAKEOPTS.)

> I only want to compile one at a time -- much safer that way and it is
> doing that,

It's likely only doing that because there isn't anything it can
immediately build that doesn't have what it's *currently* working on
as a build dependency. I noted in my blog post that emerge's
parallelization has many of the same limitations as make's that's one
of the things I was talking about; there can be linchpin and keystone
packages which need to be built before many others. libc would be an
example. gcc is a frequent example.

> but now it displays all that load average and how many jobs,
> etc. -- any way to get rid of that display?

Forget the display; it sounds like you don't want emerge building in
parallel. In that event, don't pass "-j" to emerge. The display will
go away.

--
:wq