On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 06:15:14PM +0200, Nikos Chantziaras wrote
> On 11/28/2011 02:29 PM, Albert W. Hopkins wrote:
>
> > Sorry to add more to the whining but...
> >
> > Yes, you are in the testing tree.  Yes, as a member of testing, *you*
> > expect things will occasionally break, and it is *your* job to test
> > things, break them, and report bugs.
>
> Generally true, but not when something is obviously broken.  That means
> not even its upstream dev bothered to test it.

  There aren't enough developers on the planet to test every possible
combination of testing ebuild, and non-recommended rc.conf option.

> ~arch is for "we think this works, but please give it a go in case there
> are problems".  It's *not* for "we have no idea if this works because we
> didn't even try it once".

waltdnes@d531 ~ $ head /etc/rc.conf
# Global OpenRC configuration settings

# Set to "YES" if you want the rc system to try and start services
# in parallel for a slight speed improvement. When running in parallel we
# prefix the service output with its name as the output will get
# jumbled up.
# WARNING: whilst we have improved parallel, it can still potentially lock
# the boot process. Don't file bugs about this unless you can supply
# patches that fix it without breaking other things!
#rc_parallel="NO"

  The developers tried it, and it worked on *THEIR SYSTEMS*.  It appears
that even the developers don't dare run rc_parallel on their machines...
nuff said.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>