> Oh, you just want to test the features *you* use, understood.

Guys,

I did not want to start a flamewar. I've been running ~arch for years
and I've had my fair share of breakage, which I'm perfectly fine with
(e.g. I'm not complaining that dev-lang/php-5.4.0._rc2 currently fails
to compile with USE=+snmp). It's my choice to run unstable, and I only
do so on machines where a hosed system is a nuisance rather than an
emergency.

I write software for a living, so I know perfectly well that covering
every possible configuration in your tests is extremely difficult,
especially if you're not granted ample resources (i.e. time+$$$)
specifically for that purpose.

I was just a little surprised that a system package turned out to be
completely broken in a scenario that I thought was quite widespread,
especially among the devs (as rc_parallel results in _very_ tangible
time savings, especially on a desktop with lots of services and frequent
boots).

Things were handled well: as soon as the issue was reported, the
breakage was acknowledged and the offending version was masked and then
removed.

That's all as far as I'm concerned. No data was lost and no kittens were
killed. Let's move on.

andrea