On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 5:57 PM, Harry Putnam <rea...@newsguy.com> wrote:
> Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Have you tried:
>>
>>    vga=ask
>>
>> It'll give you a list of hopefully supported resolutions.
>
> Yes but those are not really resolutions are they?... I thought they
> were actual font size changes.
>
> 5 is closest but any of the smaller ones look too silly and
> unreadable.  Whereas a hefty resolution like 1200 over 1024 looks
> nice, just smaller.
>
> I moved away, yrs ago from using vga=ask because it really does not
> have a satisfactory view setting.  5 is best, but also seem a bit
> large, the next one looks too crowded and ugly.

I use uvesafb. It's a little awkward to set up the first time, but was
more flexible for me as far as the possible resolutions.

Instructions are here:
http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/projects/uvesafb/

The relevant part of my grub kernel line:
video=uvesafb:1280x800-32,mtrr:2,ywrap

That goes into a 1280x800 video mode. I then use consolefont in my
default runlevel to set the font to one that I prefer (ter-112n from
media-fonts/terminus-font)