On Wed, Dec 07, 2011 at 06:42:22PM -0600, Harry Putnam wrote:

> >> That sounds like KMS kicking in and reducing the resolution to what it
> >> thinks your hardware can handle. There is a kernel option to enable it, I
> >> can't remember the exact syntax but Google can.
> >
> > You might have something there.  However, everything that comes up on
> > a `/KMS' search in make menuconfig is set `=n' and I just noticed
> > another area that comes up is the `advanced' option under power
> > management.
> >
> > I just now turned all the advanced stuff off by removing the
> > `asterisk'.
> >
> > Building kernel now but I have a hunch nothing is going to change as
> > regards the resolution.
>
> I guessed right, no change far as getting a larger resolution.  Still
> has the quick expansion and then drops back to original res.

AFAIK you also need to use a supporting Graphics driver. I, for instance,
usually use the binary NVidia blob, which cannot handle KMS. So I use uvesafb
and am fine with it. The only problem with it is that on every other session I
get but a blank screen when I switch from X to a console.
OTOH I also tried nouveau and (on a friend’s netbook) the intel driver. Both
automatically detected the correct screen resolution without any additional
kernel parameter.
--
Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
I forbid any use of my email addresses with Facebook services.

Baby to twin at the other breast, winking: “Bottoms up!?”