I'm doing a fresh 32-bit install on an older Dell with an AMD K8, for
experimentation.  I'm getting a build failure on gcc as listed below.  I
start off my USE variable with "-*" and then add on stuff as necessary.
A Google search turned up
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/gentoo/dev/242446 where vapier
says...

> this way when i do cut over from USE=nocxx to USE=cxx, we don't end
> up with users missing C++ compilers simply because they have old
> make.conf settings that started out with:
> USE="-* ..."

  That appears to be relavant to me.  But I'm not a developer, and I
don't claim to totally understand what he's talking about.  I do have
some ebuilds that use C++.  Should I add "cxx" to my USE variable?  The
build error message follows...

 * Fixing misc issues in configure files
 * Applying gcc-configure-texinfo.patch ...
 * Touching generated files
 *   Touching gcc/cstamp-h.in
 *   Touching gcc/config.in
 *   Touching libjava/aclocal.m4
 *   Touching libjava/Makefile.in
 *   Touching libjava/configure
 * Applying gcc-spec-env.patch ...
>>> Source unpacked in /var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/gcc-4.5.3-r1/work
>>> Compiling source in /var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/gcc-4.5.3-r1/work/gcc-4.5.3
 * CFLAGS="-O2 -march=native -pipe"
 * CXXFLAGS="-O2 -march=native -pipe"
 * Configuring gcc ...
 * We are migrating USE=nocxx to USE=cxx, but your USE settings do not make
 * sense.  Please make sure these two flags line up logically in your setup.
 * ERROR: sys-devel/gcc-4.5.3-r1 failed (compile phase):
 *   USE='cxx nocxx' and USE='-cxx -nocxx' make no sense
 *
 * Call stack:
 *     ebuild.sh, line   56:  Called src_compile
 *   environment, line 4463:  Called toolchain_src_compile
 *   environment, line 5158:  Called gcc_do_configure
 *   environment, line 2417:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *               die "USE='cxx nocxx' and USE='-cxx -nocxx' make no sense";
 *

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>