On Dec 11, 2011 12:02 AM, "Grant Edwards" <grant.b.edwa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2011-12-10, Pandu Poluan <pa...@poluan.info> wrote:
>
> > And even you can't guarantee that the kernels are the same. Many distros
> > introduce their own distro-specific patches to the vanilla kernel.
>
> RedHat is particularly bad about this.  I maintain a couple Linux
> drivers that have to work with a wide range of kernel versions.  There
> are lot's of #ifdef's that depend on not only the kernel and some of
> them also have to check whether it's a _RedHat_ kernel or not, since
> RedHat is fond of shipping a kernel with version X.Y.Z that isn't even
> close to compatible with the driver API for vanilla kernel X.Y.Z.
>
> > With Gentoo, it's even more complicated, as most experienced
> > Gentooroids will configure and compile their own kernels.
>
> I've never had to add special code to a driver to handle the Gentoo
> version of a kernel.

Ah, I see that I might have misconstrued myself. My bad.

Regarding drivers: usually they're no big deal, since the 'infrastructure'
portions of the kernel (e.g., SCSI disk support) are most likely have been
enabled.

For most applications, usually they don't really care what's in the kernel
since they operate at a quite high-level.

Problems might arise though if you're doing exotic things. For example: If
I built the IPset portion as 'built-in' into the kernel, I won't be able to
install xtables-addons. This is due to the package wanting to install its
own set of IPset modules.

Fortunately, such cases are few and far between in the Gentooverse. People
doing exotic things are naturally expected to Know What They Are Doing™ :-)

Rgds,