On Sat, Dec 10, 2011 at 11:51 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:

> A very small selection of all possible Unixes work the same.
> Ubuntu and Debian are quite similar as they have common roots.
> RedHat works rather like an old Fedora (and to some degree that's almost
> exactly what it is).
> Gentoo looks and feels like whatever you decide to make it to be
> (because it is so highly configurable and adaptable)

> The fact is that the kernel make very little difference to how the
> overall system works. YOU do not interact with the kernel, YOU interact
> with a collection of programs called "userland", and these things can
> all be very different. For example, I'm looking at three computers
> right now that all run Linux, and they are all very very different:

> - this laptop, which is set up as a traditional Unix with X,
> - my phone running Android
> - my wireless router/modem which runs busybox

> Be careful of making rash conclusions about Linux. A Linux system is not
> "like" anything particularly, it is whatever the person who built it
> decided it should be.

> What you will find is that desktop Linuxes share many common elements.
> This is not surprising - all versions of Windows share many common
> elements too.

Thanks for this explanation. I earlier (before this post) used to
think that it is the kernel which is a deciding factor..., but yes it
is correct to say NO for this. Linux is really highly configurable at
least for this reason is a better choice and especially Gentoo - which
could be made to work like anything we wish (as you say)  --- really
great to know. ON one of the machine and in the time to come, I wold
first read how to install Gentoo and then would definitely (100%) try
to install Gentooo ---- at least a successful installation would make
me know many things as far as Gentoo is considered.. Eventually I
would come to these great mailing lists for the help, but since I am
in another job, so it would take much time, but I would try....

Thanks.