Helmut Jarausch <jarausch <at> igpm.rwth-aachen.de> writes:

> >   I'm trying to make an older PC display high-def streaming video.

> You could try to install a recent kernel  (3.1.5 for me) and enable
> the CONFIG_DRM_NOUVEAU=y  (it's a staging driver, just search for it
> by entering / in the make menuconfig environment).

Additionally, when I use older machines, sometimes minimization
of the compile flags helps on some apps and not on others. You
have to experiment. It usually works for machines that are
design for a single special purpose, not workstations or every
server service you can compile for. I never optimized one
for just streaming video, so I cannot give you specifics.

Here is one I use for a firewall. Note the CFLAGS (Os) setting
for small:

CFLAGS="-Os -march=i586 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
USE="-* -nls mmx hardened  ncurses ssl crypt berkdb tcpd pam perl pcre \
python readline zlib bzip2 nptl nptlonly syslog"

Find the minimal flags and the optimum CFLAGS settings for
your needs. Refine by testing. USE a fast hard drive.....
Avoid apps that soak up ram. Some video apps are ram_hogs...

I'd be curious to learn what you finally figure out.

hth,
James